Subject: (urth) Entropy helps?

From: xury <xury at pacbell.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 1998 10:35:24 +0000

[Posted from URTH, a mailing list about Gene Wolfe's New Sun and other works]

        I cannot help but to wonder that if, supposing, Severian had his
fate set up from the beginning, a life predestined by whomever (an earlier
Severian or such) and the Forces of Entropy were determined to prevent this
catalyst from bringing the New Sun, then why did the undine save him as a
child? She saved him so he could gain the Phoenix Throne, but they must know
he would bring the New Sun also, thus bringing their own destruction. I am
obviously confused on this matter and would welcome any suggestions.

    Xury

---

From: m.driussi <m.driussi at genie.geis.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 1998 15:19:00 +0000

Reply:  Item #1005628 from URTH at LISTS.BEST.COM@INTERNET#

Xury,

Juturna, the undine who saved Severian in SHADOW and tried to drown
him in CLAW (probably the first time =she= met him) seems to have
gotten the idea of saving Severian the child while talking to
Severian the demigod at the deluge scene in URTH . . .

A simple reason why she would switch sides: we see in URTH that she
has survived the deluge and is happily munching fish.  So perhaps she
saw a short and unhappy life in store for herself if the Entropy side
won?  (The undines swim the corridors of time, as you know.) Will she
grow in size and power to take the place of Abaia, as Agia replaced
Vodalus?

=mantis=