Subject: Re: (urth) Green's Diameter II / Dr Dolittle

From: Andy Robertson <andywrobertson at clara.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 22:56:17 +0000

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael Andre-Driussi" <mantis at siriusfiction.com>
> At the time, iirc, we here decided to file it under magic and see what
> developed.  Sure enough, there were suggestions in RTTW that "flight" was
> maybe an easy cover-story for the humans.

1)  Where were these?  I do not recall them.

2)  (on a different subject) Does anyone on the list recall the Dr Dolittle
stories?

I have some tantalising scraps of memory.

If I remember the Doctor flies from the Earth to the Moon on a giant moth,
and I think there are gigantic trees on the Moon.

Is this a possible source for some of Wolfe's ideas about Green , Lune, or
Green/Lune?

    hartshorn

--

---

From: Michael Andre-Driussi <mantis at siriusfiction.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 19:02:56 +0000

>1)  Where were these?  I do not recall them.

I didn't take any notes in reading the Short Sun books, alas.  (Or hooray.)
So I don't remember.  I remember the discussion we were having around here
as each book came out, and I thought that at one thread more than one
person was agreeing with a sense of "fly lie" . . . I know I brought up the
"limited teleporation" notion at least once . . . the scenes in the text
had to do with N questioning an inhumu/a about the whole process, and s/he
(probably she; so it was probably in IGJ rather than RTTW) became coy and
evasive as he pressed harder.

Maybe this thread would show up in a search of the archives.  Sorry I can't
be of more help!

=mantis=

Sirius Fiction
booklets on Gene Wolfe, John Crowley
Now with UPDATES!
http://www.siriusfiction.com/

--