Subject: (urth) Green, possible worldship

From: Michael Andre-Driussi <mantis at siriusfiction.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 17:34:51 +0000

Another possibility that I don't think we ever discussed around here is
that Green might be so far removed from "nature" that, rather than thinking
of it as a world or a terraformed world, we might think of it as a
worldship ala Yesod, perhaps a smaller version . . . somewhere between
starship Tzadkiel and worldship Yesod.

Because, for example, in reading Paul Park's "Starbridge Chronicles," there
was enough orbital information for me to figure out that the planet of the
romance was one of the outer gas giants of our solar system.  Yet the
movement of the world called "Paradise" was so erratic as to be a
worldship.  (This was confirmed in an interview with Park: Paradise is the
Moon fitted out with a space drive, tooling around the system.)

In Wolfe's case we have clear indications of ships being surprisingly big:
the miracle of Apu-Punchau produced by the Ship's shadow, the worldship
Yesod, etc.

If Green is a worldship, then we could remove many of the constraints we
have on it, but those same constraints provide the bricks with which we
build and test theories about Green.

=mantis=

--