Subject: (urth) memory of Seawrack

From: maa32 <maa32 at dana.ucc.nau.edu>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 17:30:23 +0000

Roy gave this passage:

"Every time I remembered something that happened there, I would
think of something that's happened since I've been with you, some little
thing or something you said, and put it there instead."

This is the passage I was referring to: she is able to place memories in other 
places and times.  What is the "there"?  It is the past, underwater life she 
lived ... she is saying she can place events that happen with Horn in her 
past, and he can do it,too.  In any case, that is an ambiguous there that 
seems to mean a time as well as a place (and I don't think it refers only to 
her memory.)

William Ansley said something about that being a scrubbing brush?! Why would 
it climb up a tree?  If it's a soft brown underbrush,it will be right next to 
a tree right?  Why would a hair brush run up a tree? How is there no basis for 
further discussion?  I don't understand what you are saying.  Besides, the 
leaf sprouting stuff is a foreshadowing of the vile intelligence of the avern, 
obviously a sentient plant that knows Severian is there and wants to kill him.
 I don't think my recollection was that faulty ... are you saying that it was 
a hairbrush?!

Marc

--

---

From: matthew.malthouse <matthew.malthouse at guardian.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 11:45:15 +0000

>seems to mean a time as well as a place (and I don't think it refers only
to

Too much.  She's altering *her* memory.

The experiences she treasures replacing the past that distresses her.

The use of language reall isn't that ambiguous: there is only one possible
refferand for the last "there", the place in her mind where an older
memory existed.

>a tree right?  Why would a hair brush run up a tree? How is there no
basis for

Because the point of the passage is the flambeaux giving life to that
which is dead.

To "give life" to something already living would negate the wonder of the
thought, it'd be superfluous and make the passage pointless.

>obviously a sentient plant that knows Severian is there and wants to kill
him.

I recall - and memory is faulty - the mechanism of the avern being
explained.  Is there something that would substantiate acording it
inteligence?

> I don't think my recollection was that faulty ... are you saying that it
was

"...rough brown brush..."

Think an old fashioned scrubbing brush, wooden back darkened by repeated
immersions, bristles simmilarly aged - I have one on my kitchen window
sill if you'd like a picture.

One point though is that both the objects are given life when dead; but
both *were once living*.

If you wnat forshadowing think Claw and resurection.

Matthew

--