Subject: (urth) Rostrum, take up thy pitchfork

From: Michael Andre-Driussi <mantis at siriusfiction.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 17:37:48 +0000

Rostrum,

Okay, we have found the list at Ultan's Library!  (Some of the library rats
were using it as a slide for a theme park based on Chutes and Ladders.)

Well, it needs to be updated.  So here, in the meantime I'll give you a
pitchfork with which to begin your hunt for needles in the hay.  Titles
only for uncollected stories (stories published up to 1996; collections up
to STRANGE TRAVELERS) (you can use search engines from there).

This list is Not Complete.

The Arimapsian Legacy               CS
At the Point of Capricorn           WT Spring 1988
The Boy Who Hooked the Sun          WT Spring 1988, YBF #2
Empires of Foliage and Flower       CS, Crank! #2
The Friendship Light                F&SF 10-89
Game in the Pope's Head             Ripper!, YBF #2
Going to the Beach                  Showcase (Elwood)
Houston, 1943                       Tropical Chills (Sullivan)
How the Bishop Sailed to Inniskeen  Asimov's 12-89
It's Very Clean                     Generation (Gerrold)
King Under the Mountain             WIF 11/12-70
Loco Parentis                       ADV
Lord of the Land                    Lovecraft's Legacy, BNH #2
The Monday Man                      Monochrome: Readercon Anth.
The Old Woman Whose Rolling Pin
    Is the Sun                      CS
Read Me                             The Drabble Project
Remembrance to Come                 Orbit 6
The River                           Amazing 5-83
Robot's Story                       ADV
The Sailor Who Sailed After the Sun Grails: Quests of the Dawn (Gilliam)
The Seraph from the Sepulcher       Sacred Visions (Greeley)
Slow Children                       CS
The Tale of the Four Accused        Arabesques 2 (Shwartz)
Tarzan of the Grapes                F&SF 6-72, MWALB (Farmer)
Thou Spark of Blood                 WIF 4-70
Try and Kill it                     Asimov's 10-11/96

"ADV" = Again, Dangerous Visions (Ellison)
"CS" = Cheap Street
"F&SF" = The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction
"MWALB" = Mother Was A Lovely Beast
"WIF" = Worlds of If magazine
"WT" = Weird Tales
"YBF" = Year's Best Fantasy
"YBH" = Year's Best Horror

>There's an awful lot of uncollected short stories out there, so I was
>wondering if those of you who have tracked them down might suggest which
>are the most worth chasing.  What are some of the best Wolfe stories not
>found in the common anthologies (e.g., the ones I have):

Ah, this is the trickiest part of your request.  First we have to find at
least two people who have read a fraction of these stories, then we have to
argue over rating/ranking them.  Big Job!

>and where can they be found?

Eek, you think this is easy?

=mantis=

SIRIUS FICTION
booklets on Gene Wolfe, John Crowley
54 "Snake's-hands" left until OP!
http://www.siriusfiction.com/

--

---

From: Michael Straight <straight at email.unc.edu>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 17:57:05 +0000

> argue over rating/ranking them.  Big Job!

I'm sorry.  I had the impression that you and some of the other folks on
the list had read a lot of these stories in magazines or elsewhere and
might have a favorite to recommend.  I'd hate to go to just pick one at
random, work hard at tracking it down, only to find it as forgettable
as...that one online about the new president, the name of which I forget.

If you'd read something as wonderful as "Tracking Song" or
"Forlessen," you wouldn't need to argue about whether to recommend it!

-Rostrum

--

---

From: John Barach <jbarach at telusplanet.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 18:45:51 +0000

There's a fairly good Wolfe bibliography starting at
http://www.locusmag.com/index/s820.html#A19065 and continuing on the
next few pages.  I notice, though, that this bibliography doesn't
contain anything after 1999, which means it's missing recent stories
such as "The Walking Sticks" and "The Tree Is My Hat."  Apparently if
you want the more recent updates, you've got to buy their CD-Rom.  =(

John

--

---

From: John Barach <jbarach at telusplanet.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 19:33:41 +0000

Earlier, I wrote:

> http://www.locusmag.com/index/s820.html#A19065 and continuing on 
> thenext few pages.  I notice, though, that this bibliography doesn't
> such as "The Walking Sticks" and "The Tree Is My Hat."

I notice that it also doesn't include any reference to The Island of
Doctor Death and Other Stories and Other Stories.  And since it stops at
1999, it also doesn't tell you which stories are included in Strange
Travelers.

John

--

---

From: Fernando Gouvea <fqgouvea at colby.edu>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 19:50:00 +0000

There are several bibliographies online at the LOCUS site. They have one
for pre-1984 material, one for 1984-98, and then bibliographies for 1999,
2000, and 2001. Putting them together should cover pretty much everything.
For example, the stories in Strange Travelers are listed in the 1999
bibliography. Start at www.locusmag.com and you can get to all of these.

Fernando

============================================================================
Fernando Q. Gouvea                              
Dept. of Mathematics                            Editor, FOCUS and MAA Online
Colby College                                   http://www.maa.org
Waterville, ME 04901
fqgouvea at colby.edu

On the other hand, you have different fingers.

--