Subject: Re: (urth) Yet more glosses on Uncollected Gene Wolfe

From: Jeff Prucher <jprucher at yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2002 20:22:39 +0000

> John Barach wrote:
> 
> Here's a list of Wolfe stories (though I can't guarantee that they're
> all stories, since I haven't seen most of them!) which aren't found in
> any of his collections, including Bibliomen, Young Wolfe, For Rosemary,
> and Plan(e)t Engineering:
> 
----much snipping ensues----
>  
> * Joe and Me, Locus 45, July 2000.
 
Locus issue #474, (vol. 45 No. 1).  This is a moving remembrance of SF artist
Joe Mayhew, and is available online:
http://www.locusmag.com/2000/Issues/07/WolfeOnMayhew.html

> * Kid Sister, Dancing with the Dark, ed. Stephen Jones, Vista, 1997 

Also published in the US by Carroll & Graf, 1999.
The Locus index lists this as biographical.  Dancing with the Dark is described
as an "anthology of memoirs, subtitled 'TRUE encounters with the paranormal by
masters of the macabre'."  Does anyone know any more about this piece?

-Jeff Prucher

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Movies - coverage of the 74th Academy Awards®
http://movies.yahoo.com/

--

---

From: Michael Straight <straight at email.unc.edu>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2002 20:45:07 +0000

>From that obit:
---
Thousands of fans have seen his cartoons, but I suspect that only a few
have seen his wood carvings. Perhaps the most remarkable is a cane
decorated with leaves and feathers and stars, and the faces of 11
different men. The inscription at the bottom reads, ''December 1993/This
osage orange walking stick was made for Gene R. Wolfe by Joe Mayhew.''
Someday I may let you touch it. But only if you're very, very good.
---

I wonder if Wolfe can make any of the faces talk?

-Rostrum

--