Subject: (urth) tallying rankings of Uncollected Wolfe

From: Michael Andre-Driussi <mantis at siriusfiction.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2002 20:33:05 +0000

I am toying with the idea of how to create a composite built up of votes,
rankings.

It wouldn't be done online here--I think people would send me emails using
a ballot I would post here.  I would post results here.  We really don't
want to clog up this area with all the gathering-up of information.

It is hard to see how to organize the ballot, when new stories are
appearing all the time (!) (Go Gene, go!), but then the simple solution
came to me: by decades. So participants would be ranking the uncollected
stories of the 70s as one group, the 80s as another, etc.

Ranking would be 1 for best, 2 for second best, etc.

There would also be some kind of mark to make for "I haven't read it."
Maybe even one for "I read it but can't remember it"?  So there would be no
"blanks" on the ballot--every story would have a response.  (And we would
find the most read and the least read stories.)

The 1970s ballot would look something like this:

====
Going to the Beach
It's Very Clean
King Under the Mountain
Loco Parentis
A Method Bit in "B"
Remembrence to Come
Robot's Story
Tarzan of the Grapes
Thou Spark of Blood
====

But hmmm.  The decade scheme, while breaking the nearly 50 stories into
manageable chunks, might lead to overall distortions.  That is, comparing
stories from different decades would be like comparing apples and oranges.

Anyway, the whole thing is just an idea.  People who would gladly
participate by voting in such a project should send me private email.  If
there are enough potential participants to warrant it, perhaps we shall do
it.

=mantis=

SIRIUS FICTION
booklets on Gene Wolfe, John Crowley
42 Lexicons left until OP!
http://www.siriusfiction.com/

--