Subject: (urth) light and displacement: Fr. Inire

From: maa32 <maa32 at dana.ucc.nau.edu>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 19:18:41 +0000

All right, here is one more interesting thing I think that we should consider.
 In the chapter entitled Father Inire's mirrors in Shadow of the Torturer, the 
properties of light are discussed:
"Since nothing can exceed the speed of light in our universe, the accelerated 
light leaves it and enters another.  When it slows again, it re-enters ours - 
naturally at another placee" 129, Shadow and claw
It goes on to say that this light will create something there if nothing was 
there to begin with.  
Could this reconcile in the Lupine universe how the red light from the old sun 
of Urth could be seen in the sky of Blue, where one of the big objections to 
them being the same place is that the light of the old sun can be seen on 
Blue?
Remember that the mirrors also tend to have time bending properties.

Also, I was just looking over the chapter when Agia and Severian enter the 
jungle in the botanic garden.  There is a big tree with a liana on it, and 
Severian names the tree.  What does the name mean?  (I only have access to my 
book for a few seconds during the day to garner quotes; some guy has borrowed 
it from me and I see him for about thirty minutes once a day) and it is where 
that jungle hut shows up.  It is odd that the hut made of vines seems to 
parallel the mating ceremonies of the inhumu.  What is the name of that tree?  
It is in Latin, it starts with a C.  I should have written it down.  I'll have 
access to it tomorrow morning briefly to look it up.  but it could be the big 
trees on lune.  That would be neat.  
Marc

--