Subject: (urth) Re: gy=c

From: Andy Robertson <andywrobertson at clara.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 12:51:11 +0000

----- Original Message -----
From: <matthew.malthouse at guardian.co.uk>
> A question.
>
> The Whorl of the Long Sun produces a facsimilie of gravity through spin.
> Otherwise when we see it there is no other acceleration.  Is there (and I
> ask because I can't remember) any mention of how the Whorl behaved when
> traveling?

No mention.

A good equation to remember for astrogation is

gy = c

If you accelerate at 1 gravity for 1 year you reach the speed of light - or
would if not for relativistic effects.

I doubt the Loganstone could manage more an 1/100 g acceleration.  Even that
would "raise" the front end miles above the back end, in effect.

It's a big problem, but it is not a significantly bigger problem for a round
trip.

Maybe it was cone shaped?

    hartshorn

--