Subject: (urth) De Bibliomeno

From: Jim Jordan <jbjordan at gnt.net>
Date: Wed, 14 May 1997 09:20:08 +0000

[Posted from URTH, a mailing list about Gene Wolfe's New Sun and other works]

Mantis, or whoever:

	I have the new Broken Mirrors Bibliomen. "Broken Mirrors" is right, since
there are typos in everything they do!
	In "Gertrude S. 'Spinning Jenny' DePlatta," the dates are contradictory in
my edition. Now, since circularity is the theme of this vignette, I can see
that this might be deliberate. Or it might be a typo. I can't trust my
edition. So, what I wanna know from anybody who has the original Cheap
Street edition is this: Are the dates sequential in your edition, or not?
	BTW, I got that the new "Seaman" is Neal Gaiman, but is "Captain Mirk"
anyone?

Nutria

---

From: m.driussi <m.driussi at genie.com>
Date: Wed, 14 May 1997 21:49:00 +0000

Reply:  Item #8567332 from URTH at LISTS.BEST.COM@INET01#

Nutria,

Re: Broken Mirrors and typos.  While not denying what you wrote,
we are to cut some slack for BM because:

(1) it really is a micropress;

(2) it provides affordable Gene Wolfe stuff for the masses (BIBLIOMEN
and EMPIRES OF FOLIAGE AND FLOWER were both originally Cheap Street
books);

(3) Gene Wolfe gave Bryan Cholfin a standing ovation when Cholfin won
a World Fantasy Award in 1995; and

(4) BM has gotten out of the book business to focus on its magazine,
"CRANK!"

As for the story in question, since I don't have the Cheap Street
edition I was hoping against hope that the story would be found in
the special Wolfe issue of "Weird Tales"--alas, it is not, so I can't
help you.

=mantis=

---

From: Jim Jordan <jbjordan at gnt.net>
Date: Thu, 15 May 1997 09:06:33 +0000

>we are to cut some slack for BM because:

	Aw shucks, Mantis, I was just writing in the vain of "copy editor must
die!" I do appreciate Qranque, not just for Wolfe but also for the Blaylock
(another author eye enjoy).
	BTW, I do have "Slow children at play" and "Empires of Foliage" in the
Cheep Streat editions, in case there are typeaus in later publications
someone would like me to check out.
	Finely, maybe you could append my question about Bibliodudes to the list
of questions your sending to Jean Woof.

Nutricious

---

From: m.driussi <m.driussi at genie.com>
Date: Thu, 15 May 1997 22:47:00 +0000

Reply:  Item #4926427 from URTH at LISTS.BEST.COM@INTERNET#

Nutria,

To tell true, you made me laugh that first time--I mean, isn't the
first typo on the toc?!  But still, as a micro press guy in
semi-retirement, I gotta admit I get defensive of micro presses and
teeth grinding about the big presses.

And the "kreeativ speleeng" of the last message makes me laugh agin.
Ah me, ah my!

But hey, you've got Cheap Street "Slow Children@Play"?  What's it
like?  I've always wondered.  And I'll try to think up some points of
EMPIRES to cross check.

=mantis=