Subject: (urth) thanks blattid, but...

From: maa32 <maa32 at dana.ucc.nau.edu>
Date: Wed, 03 Apr 2002 22:00:39 +0000

Well Blattid, I would love to assimilate the Cummean into the status of an 
inhumu, but (alas) I think Wolfe said she was an "alien".  I'm not sure 
exactly what that means, but he did say for sure that Merryn was NOT an inhumu 
even though she had difficulty with animals in that recent interview (with 
Nick Gevers, correct?).  Would things from the moon really be aliens ... hmm. 
Probably not.  Juganu does indicate that there are inhumu on Urth with the 
statement "We are everywhere!" in Return to the Whorl, and I would like to say 
that the Cummean is one, but I think there might not be enough evidence for 
that.

Hey, "unfortunately"?!  Are you saying I'm like the "bad guy" on the list?  If 
my theories prove true is it like the Dark Side of the Force triumphing or 
something?!  Oh well.  "It's better to be feared than loved", I suppose.

Marc Aramini

--

---

From: Dan'l Danehy-Oakes <ddanehy at siebel.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Apr 2002 22:22:54 +0000

Marcus Araminius did write:

> Well Blattid, I would love to assimilate the Cummean into the status
> of an inhumu, but (alas) I think Wolfe said she was an "alien".  

I'm pretty sure the inhumi qualify as "alien," whether Green is
Lune or not. (And really, it isn't _that_ hard to remember: he is 
an inhumu, she is an inhuma, they are inhumi.) 

Not that I necessarily think she's an inhuma, either. Just an
idle speculation.

> I'm not sure exactly what that means, but he did say for sure that
> Merryn was NOT an inhumu even though she had difficulty with animals

Not sure of the relevance of this -- there's no particular reason
to think that Merryn is the same kind of creature as the Cumaean;
I had assumed, perhaps foolishly, that she was human.

> Probably not.  Juganu does indicate that there are inhumu on Urth
> with the statement "We are everywhere!" in Return to the Whorl,
> and I would like to say that the Cummean is one, but I think there
> might not be enough evidence for that.

Nope, only that she's some kind of reptilian alien who can simulate
being a human. Doubtless there are thousands of such species in the
galaxy; changeling aliens seem to be as common in the Lupiverse as
nigh-omnipotent beings are in the Star Trek cosmos.

> Hey, "unfortunately"?!  Are you saying I'm like the "bad guy" on the list?

No, only that I really really really don't like the idea of Blue 
being Ushas. In fact, as weird as some of your theories seem to 
me, they're generally interested and well-argued, if not sufficiently
supported -- basically, I think you need to distinguish better a 
plausible theory and a probable one: with the exception of the Ushas/Blue
hypothesis, not one of your theories seems particularly _implausible_,
but most of them are not sufficiently supported by textual citations
to seem _probable_ to me, at this time (though, as noted, I have 
enough respect for them that I will be watching for such in my next
readthrough -- and am watching for possible clues that GW might have
picked up on & retconned in my current readthrough of tBotNS).

In addition, I did not say "unfortunately." I said,

> I almost hope I'm wrong, as it would make Marc's 
> theories one step closer to probability.

I meant, of course, the "Blue=Ushas" hypothesis.

> If my theories prove true is it like the Dark Side of the Force
> triumphing or something?!  Oh well.  "It's better to be feared
> than loved", I suppose.

Grin. You're the third person I've seen quote Machievelli in as
many days. I wonder what's in the air?

--Dan'l

--