Subject: (urth) How long gone

From: Roy C. Lackey <rclackey at stic.net>
Date: Mon, 08 Apr 2002 19:46:38 +0000

A couple of weeks ago I posted some numbers wrt Green's orbit, distance from
Blue, time before and since conjunction, and how long Horn had been gone
from Lizard. Those figures were based on statements in the first two SS
books, and were rendered correctly. Briefly, it is twice stated, once by
Sinew (31) and once by Horn (38), near the beginning of OBW, that
conjunction is two years away. Conjunction occurred while Silkhorn was in
Gaon. Hide told Silkhorn, during Blanko's war, that he (Silkhorn) had been
gone for three years (IGJ, 294). The distance Green diverged from Blue was
extrapolated from these time spans and Gagliardo's figures.

However, in my second reading of RTTW, page 226 contradicts those time
spans. Both Silkhorn and Hoof claim that it has been _not quite two years_
since Horn left Lizard. And this after they left Dorp. Huh? You see the
problem. Was he gone almost two years, or almost three years? Is there
something far from obvious going on here that I just can't see? Or did Wolfe
screw up?

-Roy

--