Subject: (urth) years

From: maa32 <maa32 at dana.ucc.nau.edu>
Date: Tue, 09 Apr 2002 05:20:42 +0000

Hey Roy, that was the big thing I was asking before:
Three years have passed for the narrator, but only two have passed for the 
people on Blue ( I think).  If we want to, we can see this as a true 
distortion of time: Horn is dying about a year after he leaves home on Green, 
then he is sent back a year in the past into Silk's body, so that he is in two 
places at once - in other words, Silk was already in trouble, and maybe 
already Horn, when Horn asked Mucor to find him, possibly making her 
appearance in Return to the Whorl at the Same time that she looked for Silk in 
On Blue's Waters, and giving us ample evidence of time travel.
The big huge gaping problem with this theory is: how long has it been for 
Sinew? probably three years, right?  If we can find that it has only been two 
for Sinew, this is a pretty neat distortion.  Otherwise, I can't even begin to 
explain it, but I've commented on it before.  It really blew my mind.  Two 
years?  Three years?  And everybody kept saying three years. You see what I'm 
talking about?

Marc Aramini

--

---

From: Roy C. Lackey <rclackey at stic.net>
Date: Tue, 09 Apr 2002 08:10:51 +0000

Three years have passed for the narrator, but only two have passed for the
people on Blue ( I think).  If we want to, we can see this as a true
distortion of time: Horn is dying about a year after he leaves home on
Green,
then he is sent back a year in the past into Silk's body, so that he is in
two
places at once - in other words, Silk was already in trouble, and maybe
already Horn, when Horn asked Mucor to find him, possibly making her
appearance in Return to the Whorl at the Same time that she looked for Silk
in
On Blue's Waters, and giving us ample evidence of time travel.<<

No, that won't work. Hyacinth was still alive when Horn asked Mucor to find
Silk. (OBW, 95) She was dead when Mucor made her visit to Blood's ruined
house in RTTW. Also, it is the narrator who says that he had been gone
almost two years in RTTW, as I noted earlier. Silkhorn elsewhere (OBW, 293)
muddies the water by saying that he told Seawrack that if he wasn't back
with the lander to Pajarocu within a month to assume he was dead, and that:
"It has been nearly two years now, I believe. More, perhaps."

-Roy

--