Subject: (urth) Odd Short Sun links: Dutch and Spanish

From: Jerry Friedman <jerry_friedman at yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 21:45:56 +0000

One Mark Barratt translated a rather long Dutch joke word for word
into English in alt.usage.english at
<http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&threadm=1fafb33.9s3ssl3ywvluN%40de-ster.demon.nl&prev=/groups%3Fnum%3D25%26hl%3Den%26group%3Dalt.usage.english%26start%3D25>.
 You can explore the joys of Dutch word order and then
finish the joke in translation once you get tired.  How much more
enjoyable the Dorp dialogue would have been if Wolfe had imitated real
Dutch syntax instead of mechanically putting the verb at the end.

Also, there's an 1854 story by Pedro Antonio de Alarcón called
"¡Buena Pesca!"  That title looks like it should mean "Good
fishing!" though it turns out to mean something more like "That's
a good haul!" The story doesn't explain the end of IGJ, but there
are some connections: marital infidelity and the amputation of an
arm figure prominently, and the second-last line of the story is
"¡Buena pesca!  ¡Buena pesca!"  I wonder whether Wolfe had it in
mind.  You can read it in Spanish at
<http://usuarios.lycos.es/bibliotecario/relatos/buenapesca.htm>.  I
have no more life than that guy in a.u.e., so I'll translate the
last few paragraphs if there's interest.

Those who read Spanish might like that site, by the way.  There's
some Borges and a fair amount of sf, mostly translated.  No Wolfe,
though.

Jerry Friedman

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Tax Center - online filing with TurboTax
http://taxes.yahoo.com/

--