Subject: (urth) Deaths of Severian

From: Jim Jordan <jbjordan at gnt.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 1998 16:46:11 +0000

[Posted from URTH, a mailing list about Gene Wolfe's New Sun and other works]

At 06:33 PM 1/29/98 +0000, you wrote:

> 3) Severian nearly dies in the timeline, but is saved by the natural   
>intervention of a supernaturally-well-informed being (e.g. saved by the   
>Undine in Ch 1).
>
>newt

	No, the old Nutria has not disappeared. He's just been busy finishing a
couple of books, and has let things pile up.
	My read of this event was that Severian was under water for a long time,
long enough to kill anyone else, except that Severian cannot die. I don't
think anyone else has to raise him up; he's just unkillable, being so full
of life himself that he can even raise others to life again (Triskele, etc.). 
	This event is, btw, in case you didn't notice it (being as how you're an
atheist and all), one of numerous baptismal scenes in the early part of the
Sev Quintet. There are numerous eucharistic scenes also. 

Nutria