Subject: (urth) Re: Happy . . .

From: Andy Robertson <andywrobertson at clara.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 18:17:11 +0000

"Happy" is a rather childish descriptor.  I don't mean that as a put-down:
only that it may be often rightly used to describe children, but rarely
rightly used to describe adults.

I am "happiest" when with my children.   But I am most deeply moved by
memories of my wife, now dead.  I would not all my state "happy", but it
includes deep joy.

In Wolfe's work there are no happy endings.  The complex alloy of adult
human emotional life is too strong and too various simply to be called
"happy".

    hartshorn

----- Original Message -----
From: "maa32" <maa32 at dana.ucc.nau.edu>
To: <urth at urth.net>
Sent: Thursday, April 11, 2002 4:36 AM
> what he writes won't get published?  Sometimes he sounds so sad, other
times
> he makes comments like: "everything I write is great".  Remember that one
> essay in Castle of Days ( I think) where he talks about where he gets his
> inspiration from?  Waking up in the middle of the night in a cold sweat
and
> realizing that your parents and your friends are long dead, calling out in
> dreams to a mother who can no longer hold you ... >  I have no training in
> psychology or anything, but sometimes I wonder if he is a happy guy.

--