Subject: (urth) OT: Two books

From: Adam Stephanides <adamsteph at earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2002 14:10:35 +0000

I wanted to recommend two books I've read recently which should be of
interest to those on this list, although they have nothing else in common
aside from very similar titles.

One is THE IMPOSSIBLE BIRD by Patrick O'Leary, who has occasionally
contributed here.  It's well-written, imaginative and thought-provoking, and
covers some of the same fictional territory (in a different way) as
"Forlesen," whose ending O'Leary quotes explicitly.  But O'Leary's book has,
in a strange sort of way, a happy ending, or at least a final redemption,
which Wolfe's story lacks.

The other is THE IMPOSSIBLY by Laird Hunt (published by Coffee House Press).
This has no connection to Wolfe whatsover, and is not even sf, but fans of
non-chronological storytelling, narrative ellipsis and unreliable narrators
(which I imagine most of those on this list are) should love it.  Its prose
is very reminiscent of Flann O'Brien, which bits of Beckett thrown in; in
fact, I was surprised to gather from the dust jacket that Hunt is apparently
not Irish (though it's not stated what nationality he is).

--Adam

--