Subject: (urth) 5HC a good introduction to Wolfe (and testing 1 2 3)

From: Alex David Groce <alex_groce at forlesen.modck.cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2002 19:24:19 +0000

I've finally managed (I think) to get back onto the list after some
struggles due to CMU's bizarre email setup.  I've semi-read the
archives for my time away.

I'm actually rereading 5HC myself just now, after recommending it to a
friend who convinced me to read _Wide Sargasso Sea_.  I finished the
first novella last night.  It was my first Wolfe as well--and the hook
was set for life after it.

This time what really struck me was the compressed Proust aspect--the
Baron Charlus' house + the girl in the park + the memory well rolled
into 60 pages, while every allusion manages to perform six other
functions while it's at it.

--
"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." John 8:32
--
Alex David Groce (agroce+ at cs.cmu.edu)
Ph.D. Student, Carnegie Mellon University - Computer Science Department
8112 Wean Hall (412)-268-3066
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~agroce

--