Subject: (urth) Parabolic rebuttal

From: Nigel Price <nigel.a.price at virgin.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 11:27:42 +0000

(Testing, testing, testing...

1-2-3... 1-2-3...

Is this thing on? Is it working now?

Let me try a short test message before posting anything larger.)

Blattid suggests that Severian is more Christ-like than Wolfe is willing to
concede and further suggests that the imbedded stories in TBotNS in some way
parallel the parables in the gospels. I reject both assertions, though I
must say that I find the latter intriguing. Blattid is absolutely right to
point out that there are more parallels between Severian and Christ than
simply the temptation episode that I alluded to, but in terms of both his
character and his adventures, Severian is very, very different from Christ,
for all that he may, falteringly and imperfectly, become more like him as
the story progresses. Wolfe's explanation is that Severian is a pilgrim, and
even refers, if I recall, to "Pilgrim's Progress" as one of the indirect
models along for the story (along with millions of other things).

As for the imbedded stories in TBotNS, which I love, I can only say that
they are quite unlike parables in their structure, length and tone. They are
more like folk tales than parables.

(If this posting works, I may be tempted to say more!)

Nigel

--