Subject: (urth) Starcrossers

From: James Jordan <jbjordan4 at cox.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2002 15:45:14 +0000

It just occurred to me that Long Sun was originally called "Starcrosser's 
Landfall" (LoC data in the first edition of *Lake,* and Horn's statement at 
the end of the series somewhere) -- and of course this is a link with 5HC.
         Thematically, 5HC is closer to Short Sun, so if Wolfe was thinking 
"starcrosser" for Long Sun, that would indicate that he was thinking of the 
same universe. Or else, that he just likes the word and considered using it 
again. Or maybe that we ought to look for more 5HC themes in Long Sun than 
seem to be there (seem to me to be there, anyway).
         Same universe, then? Well, Briah is the Bang-gnaB of a previous 
universe, but the No. 5 seems to be a descendant of Wolfe, in this 
universe. So, "same universe" would not seem to be right.
         Yet, people from Lemuria/Atlantis building spaceships? That ain't 
OUR universe. So maybe No. 5 is a descendant of the Briah Wolfe, not of our 
Wolfe.
         Not that it matters. But it's fun to fool around with.

Nutria

--