Subject: (urth) Orthodox Jewish afterlife (was Re: Scylla & Oreb)

From: Adam Stephanides <adamsteph at earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 03:02:35 +0000

on 4/20/02 7:13 AM, Alice K. Turner at aturner6 at nyc.rr.com wrote:

> These had much
> to do with life after death, and (I gather) there was at the time some
> question as to whether this would be sequential (a la Hindu) or permanent.
> The conservative Saducee party together with every orthodox (small o) Jewish
> party for the last two millennia has rejected both speculations.

I'm a bit puzzled by this last statement.  According to the Encyclopaedia
Judaica, "Orthodox Judaism has, throughout, maintained both a belief in the
future resurrection of the dead..., and also a belief in some form of
immortality of the soul after death." (2:339)  And the Mishnah, one of the
foundations of traditional Judaism, says that "All Israelites will have a
share in the world-to-come" but "anyone who says that resurrection is not of
Torah origin" will not have a share (Sanhedrin 10:1, tr. Eugene J. Lipman).

--Adam

--

---

From: Alice K. Turner <aturner6 at nyc.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2002 07:15:02 +0000

----- Original Message -----
From: "Adam Stephanides" <adamsteph at earthlink.net>

> Torah origin" will not have a share (Sanhedrin 10:1, tr. Eugene J.
Lipman).

Thanks, Adam--that'll teach me to rely on the veracity of a Jewish friend
who isn't religious. I should looked it up myself. But it *is* true that
Jews don't bang on about it the way Christians do.

-alga

--