Subject: (urth) American gods

From: DhSunanda <dhsunanda at aol.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 09:11:22 +0000

In his Acknowledgements, Neil Gaiman writes:

"I took the best line of dialogue in the epilogue from Gene Wolfe, to whom, 
my thanks"
(Headline, UK paperback edition)

Any ideas which line, and where (assuming a published source) it came from?

Thanks,
Sunanda.

--

---

From: Phoebe Davis <meezer_gal at yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 18:50:25 +0000

I found a text line that seems quite lupine but a line of dialogue?  I reread the
postscript (which I'm sure is what Gaiman means by the epilogue) several times and can't
say I recognize anything from a particular Wolfe book but found 2 candidates. 

"They said it was a good place for men, but a bad place for gods."
"He was me, yes. But I am not him."

Gaiman is another of my favorites, as is Tim Powers.  

Phoebe

> Any ideas which line, and where (assuming a published source) it came from?

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Games - play chess, backgammon, pool and more
http://games.yahoo.com/

--

---

From: Rory <rmci at columbus.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 03:07:34 +0000

Hi, all--

This is my first post in years.  I've enjoyed being on the list again.

When I got my copy of American Gods autographed, I asked Mr. Gaiman about
Mr. Wolfe (not knowing, at that point, anything about the epilogue).  He
told me to look for the line, and when I asked him what it was from, to the
best of my recollection he said "that Christmas story."  I asked if he meant
"The War Beneath The Tree" and he said yes, but I am at a loss to find any
matching lines of dialogue.  He did look rather done in, so perhaps his
memory was on the fritz.  However, this may help someone out there to find
it; I spent the better part of the evening looking through stories to no
avail.

Rory

----- Original Message -----
From: "Phoebe Davis" <meezer_gal at yahoo.com>
To: <urth at urth.net>
Sent: Thursday, April 25, 2002 2:50 PM
Subject: Re: (urth) American gods

--