Subject: (urth) Prehsitoric Starcrossers

From: Jeff Wilson <jwilson at io.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 02:38:01 +0000

>      From: 
>           "Tony Ellis" <LittleSense at necronomicon.co.uk>

> Jeff Wilson wrote:
> >How do you explain the remarkable similarity of form and the ability
> >to interbreed, then?
> 
> Remarkable similarity of form to, and ability to interbreed with, human
> beings, you mean? The explanation is that abos -are- human beings. They are
> the descendants of prehistoric colonists from Earth. Wolfe goes out of his
> way to prime us with this idea in all three novellas in 5HC, and that's good
> enough for me.

I'll bite; how did the prehistoric societies travel the stars without
leaving any hint of their ability to do so in either the story or the
archaeological record?

-- 
Jeff Wilson
How Am I Posting? 1-800-555-6789
"If your SecOp can see you, so can the enemy." -Cpt Law

--

---

From: Andy Robertson <andywrobertson at clara.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 01:40:37 +0000

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jeff Wilson" <jwilson at io.com>
> leaving any hint of their ability to do so in either the story or the

Oh Pooh

Look, the Abos are creatures of the Dreamtime.  They are very strongly based
on Australian aborigines: even down to their name.

Creatures of the Dreamtime.   That is why they come from Atlantis, Mu or
Poictisme.

    hartshorn

--

---

From: StoneOx17 <stoneox17 at aol.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 15:02:00 +0000

> way to prime us with this idea in all three novellas in 5HC, and that's 
good

To throw mud into already murky waters, why is everybody assuming 
that the abos can interbreed with humans?  I don't believe that Roy 
Trenchard is Victor's father.  I don't have my copy of 5HC handy, but 
somewhere in Marsch's interview of Roy, Roy says (paraphrasing 
from memory) that Marsch shouldn't believe the ugly rumors, and 
that he was married to Victor's mother when Victor was born.  My 
contention is that he is misunderstanding the rumors.

This gives another way in which Veil's hypothesis might be true.  
After the war with the original French colonists, all the records were
lost, so the "French" women the next wave of colonists married 
might have mostly been abos.  If their children are all abos, and the
girls marry humans, eventually the whole Annese population will 
become abos.  This hypothesis dovetails nicely with the speculation
I've seen in this list that, because of the genetic experiments at la 
maison du chien, the population of Sainte Croix is becoming more
and more like No. 5 and Maitre.

I'm becoming more and more convinced that, unlike Peace (where
I think there's some real truth at the heart of the labyrinth), 5HC is
one of those optical illusions where you either see two vases or a
face, but there's no way to tell which.

Thanks,

Peter S.

--