Subject: (urth) for jerry - pale fire

From: maa32 <maa32 at dana.ucc.nau.edu>
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2002 06:56:18 +0000

Hey Jerry - if you like Nabokov's Pale Fire, check out Boyd's "Pale Fire - The 
Magic of Artistic Discovery" - he says that both Shade and Kinbote are equally 
inspired by the same source: the Vanessa butterfly that is actually Shade's 
daughter, who sympathizes with Kinbote because of their mutual loneliness and 
exclusion from society - it is cool because I like the idea of the two 
obviously incompatible narratives being used by a supernatural being in order 
to produce a homage to her life - in other words, she directly inspires the 
fantasies of Kinbote, which then actually did influence Shade in the 
composition of the poem which was really about his daughter.  Pretty weird.  I 
like it because it reminds me of my Horn in Babbie idea. 
In any case, whether you buy the primary thesis or not, the book really, 
really has a lot of good explanatory information that really makes sense of 
the book.  Sorry if this doesn't make sense.  I got a bad concussion yesterday 
- everything is bright and blurry (I admit, I've been skimming the list for 
the past two days, but I will go back and read everything thoroughly when I 
feel smart again.)
Marc Aramini

--

---

From: Jerry Friedman <jerry_friedman at yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 20:32:33 +0000

--- maa32 <maa32 at dana.ucc.nau.edu> wrote:
> Magic of Artistic Discovery" 
...

One of these days...

> I got a bad concussion yesterday 

Sorry to hear that!  Is your doctor as good as Dr. Makee?  Anyway,
I hope you recover well and quickly!

Jerry Friedman

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Health - your guide to health and wellness
http://health.yahoo.com

--