Subject: (urth) tools and officer

From: maa32 <maa32 at dana.ucc.nau.edu>
Date: Wed, 01 May 2002 05:59:44 +0000

Say, I haven't been following the discussion of 5th Head too closely, but 
doesn't anyone think that the officer reading the repot is an abo?  He makes 
that women who services him open the package for him, and he seems reluctant 
to use tools (like a knife to open a package, if I remember correctly).  That 
is just a vague impression from reading it a few years ago.  I will have the 
text in my hands again in about two weeks to re-read it. Those abos are 
everywhere.
Marc Aramini

--

---

From: Jerry Friedman <jerry_friedman at yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 02 May 2002 21:54:24 +0000

> text in my hands again in about two weeks to re-read it. Those abos are 

Apparently!  The officer does have the male slave (a Gene Wolfe clone,
right?) draw the officer's dagger and cut the ropes on the package.
On the other hand, later the officer draws his own dagger and cuts a
page of V. R. T.'s notebook to compare the cut with the way the first
three pages have been removed.  The cut-out pages and the business
with the slave's drawing the dagger both mystify me.

Jerry Friedman

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Health - your guide to health and wellness
http://health.yahoo.com

--

---

From: Dan'l Danehy-Oakes <ddanehy at siebel.com>
Date: Thu, 02 May 2002 22:10:14 +0000

Jerry Friedman writes:

> The officer does have the male slave (a Gene Wolfe clone, right?) draw
> the officer's dagger and cut the ropes on the package. On the other hand,
> later the officer draws his own dagger and cuts a page of V. R. T.'s 
> notebook to compare the cut with the way the first three pages have been
> removed.  The cut-out pages and the business with the slave's drawing the
> dagger both mystify me.

Assume that the officer is Annese.

Assume that the Annese not only are clumsy with tools (like knives), but are
clumsy in a particular way.

Then cutting a page himself, and comparing it to how the pages already cut 
appear, may be a way for him to determine (to, at least, his own
satisfaction)
whether they were cut by a human or by an abo...

--