Subject: Re: (urth) VanderMeer's City of Saints / Story Suites

From: Jeff Prucher <jprucher at yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 12 May 2002 21:00:20 +0000

--- Nicholas Gevers wrote:
> Just a few words about Jeff VanderMeer's extraordinary
> book CITY OF SAINTS & MADMEN, now available in
> hardcover (Prime Books). 

In a curious confluence of threads, I'd like to mention that in his review of
this book
(http://www.locusmag.com/2002/Reviews/Lalumiere03_VanderMeer.html)Claude
Lalumiere posits the word "mosaic" to describe "books made up of previously
published stories that form a whole more unified than the standard story
collection," attempting to fill in the same perceived gap in the language that
Le Guin coined "story suite" to fill.  I'm not sure what it means that there
have been two alternative suggestions posited within a month or two of each
other, since this is not exactly a new type of book.

-Jeff Prucher

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
LAUNCH - Your Yahoo! Music Experience
http://launch.yahoo.com

--