Subject: (urth) chopsticks

From: maa32 <maa32 at dana.ucc.nau.edu>
Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 23:20:12 +0000

I'm not sure if anyone was confused by Apple Blossom's statement in 
"Underhill", but when she says "there is also my chop-my seal perhaps?" she is 
first talking about saving her chopsticks, then decides to make herself more 
important by talking about her seal and defers talk of saving the "the ivory 
sticks that feed [her]" for a sentence or two.  The joke is that the magical 
box is a white box of chinese take out food, I guess - if there is a joke at 
all there. Alas, the mystification of Chinese food in the west seems a major 
theme of this story.
Marc Aramini

--

---

From: Russell Wodell <hse at telus.net>
Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 18:57:18 +0000

Apple Blossom's statement is _not_ about chopsticks; her usage of "chop" is
quite mundane, about a personal name stamp or "seal," viz this definition
from the OED.:

"In India, China. A seal or the impression of a seal; an official impress or
stamp.

  1614 MILWARD in Purchas Pilgr. I. 526 (Y.) The King [of Achen] sent us his
Chop. 1678 Lett. from Dacca Fact. in India Office (Y.), Alledging that they
came without ye Visiers Chaup to him. 1696 J. OVINGTON Voy. Suratt 251 (Y.)
Upon their Chops as they call them in India, or Seals engraven, are only
Characters, generally those of their Name. 1818 JAS. MILL Brit. India III.
340 Mr. Pigot is said to have seized his chop, or seal, and applied it to
the paper. 1859 SIMMONDS Dict. Trade, Chhap, an official mark on weights and
measures, to indicate their accuracy; an eastern Custom-house stamp or seal
on goods that have been examined and have paid duty."

>>Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 16:20:12 -0700
From: maa32
Subject: (urth) chopsticks

I'm not sure if anyone was confused by Apple Blossom's statement in
"Underhill", but when she says "there is also my chop-my seal perhaps?" she
is
first talking about saving her chopsticks, then decides to make herself more
important by talking about her seal and defers talk of saving the "the ivory
sticks that feed [her]" for a sentence or two.  The joke is that the magical
box is a white box of chinese take out food, I guess - if there is a joke at
all there. Alas, the mystification of Chinese food in the west seems a major
theme of this story.
Marc Aramini
---
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
Version: 6.0.361 / Virus Database: 199 - Release Date: 07/05/02

--