Subject: (urth) Sun's Dying <> Natural

From: m.driussi <m.driussi at genie.geis.com>
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 1998 15:37:00 +0000

[Posted from URTH, a mailing list about Gene Wolfe's New Sun and other works]

Reply:  Item #5531003 from URTH at LISTS.BEST.COM@INET01#

Dave,

Hello there and welcome aboard.

The Old Sun is not dying of natural causes.

I repeat, the Old Sun is =not= dying of natural causes (i.e., stellar
evolution).

Somebody put a black hole in the Old Sun at some point (for purposes
unknown, but sure and I've got a few theories) and it is now dying
from that.

This is established in the text.  And another example of the
"collapsing scale" used so often in TBOTNS.

=mantis=

---

From: Jim Jordan <jbjordan at gnt.net>
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 1998 11:08:40 +0000

>"collapsing scale" used so often in TBOTNS.

	Yeh, I've seen you say this more than once, but I don't recall the
evidence, let alone proof. Inquiring minds want to know....

Nutria

---

From: CRCulver <crculver at aol.com>
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 1998 21:22:26 +0000

>Somebody put a black hole in the Old Sun at some point (for purposes
unknown, but sure and I've got a few theories) and it is now dying from
that.<

     I've often wondered how it got there myself. I have established 2
theories:

1) As in David Brin's novel _Earth_, some tinkering scientists create a black
hole and it gets loose, ultimately falling into the sun.

2) Maybe a black hole happened to be floating around in our area of space and
passed into the sun then.

I'd be most interested to hear you opinions, Mantis, as well as those of the
rest of this motley group.

Christopher R. Culver <crculver at aol.com>
http://members.aol.com/crculver/index.html
------------------------------------------------
"Ignorance, that light of fools steers a wayward path"
-Brendan Perry