Subject: (urth) Re: Woodhenge without abos

From: David Duffy <davidd at qimr.edu.au>
Date: Mon, 20 May 2002 05:44:28 +0000

There is little doubt that there were abos.  It is more the melancholy
fact, that just as on our world, all evidence of their occupation is
intentionally (and/or incidentally) destroyed by colonists, so that even
the museums are filled with lies.  One thing about Short Sun is that there
is an honourable handover of sorts (speaking of which, if the inhumi are
an echo or mirror of human nature now, what were they like when they
mirrored the Neighbours?).

I agree that there is no evidence that Casilla has nonhuman abilities --
the remarks re appearance are those of a slave-holding MCP.

David Duffy.

--

---

From: Jerry Friedman <jerry_friedman at yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 20 May 2002 22:20:12 +0000

--- David Duffy <davidD at qimr.edu.au> wrote:
> the museums are filled with lies.

I'm not sure what you mean by that.  On our world, many languages and
cultures and some ethnic groups have been wiped out, but I don't think
all the evidence has disappeared.  Or were you thinking of the fairies
that Marsch mentions?

> One thing about Short Sun is that there

I saw this as real escapism.  Wouldn't it be great to live on land
that hadn't been stolen?
...

Jerry Friedman

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
LAUNCH - Your Yahoo! Music Experience
http://launch.yahoo.com

--

---

From: Adam Stephanides <adamsteph at earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 15:04:58 +0000

on 5/20/02 12:44 AM, David Duffy at davidD at qimr.edu.au wrote:

> There is little doubt that there were abos.

Well, the books themselves contain doubts.  And I still haven't seen a
convincing explanation of why, if we are to take the Annese's existence for
granted, there is not one single piece of solid evidence for it: why every
piece of evidence proves doubtful upon close examination.

> It is more the melancholy
> fact, that just as on our world,

As Jerry Friedman said, there are certainly many cases on our world of
indigenous groups having been wiped out, but I don't recall any case in
which the invaders/colonists sought to wipe out all evidence of such groups
having existed.

> all evidence of their occupation is

But the colonists' present-day descendants don't seem to be making any
attempt to cover up the Annese's existence; they will freely talk, not only
about the Annese themselves, but about the humans exterminating the Annese.
Mrs. Blount saw nothing wrong in her father killing abos; presumably,
neither did her parents.  And there's no indication the Annese government
would have intervened.  So why cover it up?

The more I think about it, the more suspicious the absence of any physical
traces is.  The war merely caused "the destruction of the records of the
first French landing parties" (157, Ace pb), not the destruction of all
skeletons or artifacts that might have been collected by the French.  Marsch
himself, who interprets all evidence as favorably as possible, doesn't
regard the war as explaining the absence of physical traces.  I'm not saying
this proves that the Annese never existed, just that the absence of physical
evidence is indeed not easy to explain away.

--Adam

--

---

From: Josh Geller <dclxvi at dclxvi.best.vwh.net>
Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 18:50:18 +0000

> which the invaders/colonists sought to wipe out all evidence of such groups

In Costa Rica and in Argentina, if you ask the current locals what
happened to the Indians, they will say "There were never too many Indians
here".

.

--