Subject: (urth) Sinner Question

From: Darryl Swett <edorian at hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 19:45:46 +0000

[Massive Snippage]
>Another critically significant point of the Christian episteme is
>that sin is a kind of bondage; that as long as we remain sinners,
>we are not in fact free.
[More Snips]

I do not know much about the particular differences of the many Protestant 
flavors, and I know even less about Catholicism.
I was raised in a Methodist setting, and I was taught that all people are 
sinners, whether they accept Christ as their savior or not -- being a 
believer does not exempt one from being a sinner.  Is this different for the 
Catholic system?

- Darryl / Dragonfly

_________________________________________________________________
Chat with friends online, try MSN Messenger: http://messenger.msn.com

--

---

From: Dan'l Danehy-Oakes <ddanehy at siebel.com>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 20:05:19 +0000

> I do not know much about the particular differences of the 
> many Protestant flavors, and I know even less about Catholicism.

Oh. Well, you know we're all a bunch of pagan goddess-worshipping
slaves of Rome, I presume, so what more would you need to know? 8*)

> I was raised in a Methodist setting, and I was taught that 
> all people are sinners, whether they accept Christ as their
> savior or not -- being a believer does not exempt one from being
> a sinner.  Is this different for the Catholic system?

Of course not -- St Paul is clear on this; all are sinners (tho'
Catholics and, I believe, Orthodox believe that Mary is an exception,
not through her own doing but through the "immaculate conception,"
a special miracle which allowed her to be born without the taint of
original sin, as a fitting "vessel" for Christ); and even after 
salvation, we continue to be sinners -- Paul speaks of "doing what
I hate," etc.

--Dan'l

--