Subject: Silkhorn's no saint (was Re: (urth) TBOTSS and colonialism)

From: Adam Stephanides <adamsteph at earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 01 Jun 2002 14:11:23 +0000

on 5/30/02 2:41 PM, Jerry Friedman at jerry_friedman at yahoo.com wrote:

> To get back to something more to the point, why doesn't Silkhorn
> try "donating" blood to inhumi?  That would seem like an excellent
> attempt at making improvements.  He's too humble to think he
> would help?  Too squeamish?  Wolfe didn't like the echoes of the
> Eucharist?

Though I myself have spoken as though he was, Silkhorn's no saint.  He's a
good man (at least we're told so, and I suppose the sententious advice he
endlessly dispenses means we're supposed to believe it) and has a strong
sense of responsibility, but he's neither ascetic nor particularly
self-sacrificing, and his behavior towards Jahlee and Juganu (not to mention
Nettle) is hardly saintlike.

And afaik he never attempts to redeem either Jahlee or Juganu (or even
Fava). He may have compassion for Jahlee, but he takes for granted that she
will always be amoral and drink human blood.

--Adam

--