Subject: (urth) Quantum Theodynamics

From: Dan'l Danehy-Oakes <ddanehy at siebel.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 16:34:00 +0000

Crush again...

[Lupinity deleted]

> "Toying" is an important word here. Based on the Wolfe answer 
> I'm quoting here, I'd say trying to make tBotNS fit with Christian 
> theology in every way (or most ways) is like trying to create a
> perpetual motion machine or trying to rectify general relativity
> with quantum mechanics: It seems so logical and straightforward,
> but then....

Well, yes and no ... among other things, this depends on just what 
Christian theology you're talking about. Catholic theology has, to
the best of my knowledge, always begun with with the vital assumption
that we do not _and can not_ know the mind of God (Dorothy Sayer's
excellent book _The Mind of the Maker_ all to the good). We can 
attempt to (for example) know why God made the world, but that's 
speculative theology* and not only are its hypotheses considered 
uncertain, it's generally considered dangerous to think of them as 
if they were certain. 

-----
* A term which should ought to be familiar to those who participated
  in the great Pullman Debate of last year.
-----

I would say that Wolfe (like Tolkien before him) has generally gone
out of his way to create a hypothetical universe which, while it may
not be explicitly Christian, does not actually _violate_ Christian
theology in any irreconcilable way.

who (huh!) who wrote the book of the new sun?

--