Subject: RE: (urth) Some problems if the Pancreator/Outsider is theHoly Tr

From: Michael Straight <straight at email.unc.edu>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 19:13:50 +0000

On Wed, 12 Jun 2002, Dan'l Danehy-Oakes wrote:

> Rostrum saith:
> > If you're going to count the intros/appendix where Wolfe talks about
> > translating Severian's manuscript, Wolfe directly refers to all the
> > stuff of Severian's time being in the future, or "futurity."
> 
> Yes. But on the other hand, he also writes of having been allowed
> to tour and photograph the "surviving" buildings of that distant
> future period. Which seems to put the distant future into the distant
> past and make the whole thing cyclic after all, dunnit?

To me, at that point it became obvious the whole thing was a joke and not
meant to have any real bearing on Severian's story.

-Rostrum

--

---

From: matthew.malthouse <matthew.malthouse at guardian.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 09:38:06 +0000

>meant to have any real bearing on Severian's story.

For no pertinent reason:  Mary Gentle's "Ash"

Matthew

--