Subject: RE: (urth) Some problems if the Pancreator/Outsider is the Holy T rinity

From: Jerry Friedman <jerry_friedman at yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 22:48:37 +0000

--- Michael Straight <straight at email.unc.edu> wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Jun 2002, Dan'l Danehy-Oakes wrote:
> 
> > So Typhon and his brood create the _Whorl,_ a place in which they
> > can be as gods; they brutally try to suppress all memory of the
> > religions of Urth. Yet hints of these religions creep through, so
> > that the "Vironese Faith" rather resembles Temple Judaism, albeit
> > with many Gods; so that the Trivigauntes have a religion very similar
> > to Islam, except with the sexual roles reversed; and so that there
> > is even some vague memory of the Incarnation.
> 
> I assumed that these were deliberate parodies of Islam, Judaism,
> Christianity, etc. by Typhon et. al.
...

The Vironese faith is not in fact that much like Judaism.  They
share priests sacrificing animals in a temple, but I don't remember
private confession, augury, or dancing sibyls in Judaism, and of
course there's no polytheism.  The haruspication makes it more like
the ancient Romans' religion, doesn't it?

Jerry Friedman

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Yahoo! - Official partner of 2002 FIFA World Cup
http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com

--

---

From: Andy Robertson <andywrobertson at clara.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 05:26:59 +0000

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jerry Friedman" <jerry_friedman at yahoo.com>
> the ancient Romans' religion, doesn't it?

The Vironese faith is obviously based on ancient greek religion, with some
inpout from other Indo-European polytheisms:

The maor thematic links are to the gods and goddesses in "Soldier in the
Mist".

    hartshorn

--