Subject: (urth) Junie Moon

From: Fernando Q. Gouvea <fqgouvea at colby.edu>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2002 02:17:50 +0000

I just re-read Wolfe's "Has Anybody Seen Junie Moon", in the Moon Shots
anthology edited by Peter Crowther. The story is a homage to R. A. Lafferty, 
and it refers to a Lafferty story about a small moon that orbits very close
to the Earth's surface. I remember reading that story, but don't remember
its title or where I read it. Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Fernando

-- 

Fernando Q. Gouvea                      
Department of Mathematics          Editor, FOCUS and MAA Online
Colby College                      Mathematical Association of America
Waterville, ME 04901               http://www.maa.org
fqgouvea at colby.edu                      
==========================================================

Reality is for people who lack imagination.

--

---

From: Alex David Groce <alex_groce at forlesen.modck.cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 16:09:49 +0000

> I just re-read Wolfe's "Has Anybody Seen Junie Moon", in the Moon
> Shots anthology edited by Peter Crowther. The story is a homage to
> R. A. Lafferty, and it refers to a Lafferty story about a small moon
> that orbits very close to the Earth's surface. I remember reading
> that story, but don't remember its title or where I read it. Can
> anyone help?

It's "You Can't Go Back" in _Iron Tears_.  One of Lafferty's better
stories, which is saying a lot.  While the intention was, I'm sure,
all to the good, I think "Junie Moon"'s main virtue is in pointing out
that imitation Lafferty just doesn't work.

--
"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." John 8:32
--
Alex David Groce (agroce+ at cs.cmu.edu)
Ph.D. Student, Carnegie Mellon University - Computer Science Department
8112 Wean Hall (412)-268-3066
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~agroce

--

---

From: Fernando Q. Gouvea <fqgouvea at colby.edu>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 16:43:09 +0000

**** On Mon, 17 Jun 2002 12:09:49 -0400, you said:

>> anthology edited by Peter Crowther. The story is a homage to
>> that orbits very close to the Earth's surface. I remember reading that
>> story, but don't remember its title or where I read it. Can anyone help?

Alex> It's "You Can't Go Back" in _Iron Tears_.  One of Lafferty's better
Alex> stories, which is saying a lot.  While the intention was, I'm sure,
Alex> all to the good, I think "Junie Moon"'s main virtue is in pointing
Alex> out that imitation Lafferty just doesn't work.

To some extent, I agree, but I still enjoyed the story, both because it
reminded me of the Lafferty (a pleasure in itself) and because of little
touches, such as Junie (whose real name must be Juno) sending "Hercules" on
his labors.

Fernando

-- 

Fernando Q. Gouvea                      

   This is the way the world ends
   This is the way the world ends
   This is the way the world ends
   Not with a bang but a whimper.
       -- T. S. Eliot, The Hollow Men

--