Subject: (urth) names + Typhon

From: maa32 <maa32 at dana.ucc.nau.edu>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 17:35:31 +0000

Mr. Borski has recently made the point that Typhon's name is mythological, 
implying that he should be of alien stock rather than simply of "other", 
urthly origin.  However, aren't there mythological names, like Talos, that 
reveal traits rather than place of origin?  Talos is a mechanical man, but he 
is not necessarily extra-terrestrial - indeed, he is from Urth.  It does imply 
that he is "other" - and while I CAN see a slight difference between 
Baldanders and the mythological names, I don't find the presence of a 
mythological name as complete evidence that Typhon must be extraterrestrial - 
rather, it could be an assumed name that shows his difference and superiority 
to his "normal" subjects (much as Karol Wojtyla would choose the name John 
Paul II or Bullingbrook would name himself Henry IV - it is common to choose a 
name of distinction to establish the authority of "otherness", and insinuate 
that you are of uncommon stock).  Just a note - I think we need slightly more 
than a mythological name to definitely brand someone as Alien, since I don't 
think all the characters with mythological names are from the outer reaches, 
especially as evidenced by Dr. Talos.
Marc Aramini

--

---

From: Dan'l Danehy-Oakes <ddanehy at siebel.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 17:42:44 +0000

Good post, Marc.

One other point: Whatever rules may apply to the use of mythological
monsters in the Lupiverse, Typhon certainly does _not_ fall under the
"saints" naming convention for citizens of the Commonwealth, since 
he is not one.

Nota bene: Typhon and his whole family have mythical names aboard 
the starcrosser _Whorl._

And who shall I say is calling?

--

---

From: Michael Straight <straight at email.unc.edu>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 19:07:31 +0000

> "saints" naming convention for citizens of the Commonwealth, since 

Took me a moment to realize you are saying Typhon is not a citizen of the
Commonwealth, rather than that Typhon is not a saint, which would
disqualify most uses of the convention...

-Rostrum

--

---

From: Jerry Friedman <jerry_friedman at yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 20:32:13 +0000

> "saints" naming convention for citizens of the Commonwealth, since 

There's a Saint Piaton (which proves nothing, since there were lots
of people named Simon--Shim`on, I think--before anyone was in a
position to be a Catholic saint).

There seems to be some confusion, by the way, over whether people
are using "alien" to mean "not born on Urth though possibly human"
or "not human".  Or maybe just "foreign to the Commonwealth", like
Loyal to the Group of Seventeen, and presumably Ash.
...

Jerry Friedman

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Yahoo! - Official partner of 2002 FIFA World Cup
http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com

--

---

From: Alice K. Turner <aturner6 at nyc.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 02:00:23 +0000

No one has brought up the fact that Vodalus etc. have Roman/Latin names.
Which is what Juterna has too; it may indicate whose side you're on in a
very simple way (Romans v. Christians). Also that group of warrior renegades
(haven't the energy to look it up) in the forrest have Germanic names. I
think all this stuff is in -Lexicon Urthus- actually.

-alga

--

---

From: matthew.malthouse <matthew.malthouse at guardian.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 12:23:46 +0000

>especially as evidenced by Dr. Talos.

Of the word alien do you mean "non-human" or "not of Urth".

Typhon's story suggests that he is human but not of earth.

Talos is of Urth but created (by Baldanders).

And that put's me in mind of a third distinction.  Are the heirodules not
created (in the hey, look what I cooked up rather than the created He
them, male and female kind)?

Matthew

--

---

From: James Wynn <crushtv at hotpop.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 21:22:00 +0000

are using "alien" to mean "not born on Urth though possibly human"
or "not human".  Or maybe just "foreign to the Commonwealth", like
Loyal to the Group of Seventeen, and presumably Ash.<<<<<<<

Crush clarifies his murky perspective:
For purposes of this thread I presume the term  "alien" has taken on them
meaning "non-human sentient being originating on another planet" ever since
the following discourse between Blattid and Robert Borski's in Borski's
posting on 6/17:

Blattid wrote:
"The undines, as near as can be told, _are_ homo sapiens -- they are more
advanced cases of the process to which Baldanders has been subjecting
himself."

Borski responded:
Not sure I agree with this.

How's that?

-- Crush

--