Subject: (urth) 1000 to 2000 years from Typhon to Severian

From: Paul C Duggan <pduggan at world.std.com>
Date: Sun, 01 Feb 1998 21:32:55 +0000

[Posted from URTH, a mailing list about Gene Wolfe's New Sun and other works]

Since I'm the one who asked Wolfe the question on the People Website
interview (http://pathfinder.com/people/interactive/wolfetrans.html) I'll
state that I'm certain he is giving two seperate answers to two seperate
questions. 

first, I ask him how long between the New sun series and our own period,
and then I ask how long between Typhon and Severian. He answers "That is
never specifed in the books" and "My offhand guess is between 1000 and
2000 years".

Chatroom conversations being what they are, and that it is the only way to
assume he tried to answer both questions, I believe he is only making an
offhand guess at the T-S duration.

Or maybe he's being deliberatly enigmatic :-)

"I am an impure thinker. I am hurt, swayed, shaken, |  paul           + | +
elated, disillusioned, shocked, comforted, and I    |                 --|--
have to transmit my mental experiences lest I die." |                 + | +
                     --  Eugen Rosenstock-Huessy    |  pduggan at world.std.com