Subject: (urth) Silk-23 apology

From: Michael Andre-Driussi <mantis at siriusfiction.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 15:31:01 +0000

I apologize for bringing up the whole "Silk-23" thing.

I never intended it to take the place of the "submerged Silk, hidden in
plain sight" reading, which I readily admit is much stronger and the best
candidate.

I'm not sure what I was thinking, but I do know that I did not want to
debate anything about LS/SS. I have not re-read LS/SS since the last
discussion; I am not now re-reading; I have no plans to re-read in the near
future.  I have not taken notes, I have no essays written, nor plans for
essays.  So I am not in a position, nor an inclination, to discuss.

So it was foolish of me to post such messages.  And I apologize for this
foolishness.  If it could be "stricken from the record" I would gladly do
it.

A few weeks ago I located and read "Thou Spark of Blood," and I thought of
posting a message about that, but why?  Just to brag about reading it?  No
(at least I like to think that wouldn't be the case) -- just to share notes
about it.  But who cares?  It is hard to get, few are inclined to make an
attempt, and it probably isn't worth the effort to get it and read it.
LS/SS is where the action is, and I count myself out of that material.

=mantis=

Sirius Fiction
booklets on Gene Wolfe, John Crowley
30 copies of "Snake's-hands" until OP!
http://www.siriusfiction.com/

--

---

From: James Jordan <jbjordan4 at cox.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 17:09:11 +0000

>I apologize for bringing up the whole "Silk-23" thing.

         Hey! Don't apologize! This is all for fun anyway, and you're 
thoughts are always interesting.

Nutria

--

---

From: Mark Millman <millman at heimdallr.dyndns.org>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 17:56:01 +0000

mantis,

I, for one, would be interested in hearing your thoughts
on "Thou Spark of Blood", if you still feel that you have
something to say about it.  I can't promise you that it
will generate much discussion, but your insights are al-
ways worthwhile.

Or could you make the same observations about "When I was
Ming the Merciless" (which is so much easier to find)?  I
can't easily think of a story that treats the aspects of
"Spark" that aren't similar to "Ming", (maybe "The Other
Dead Man" or "Silhouette", though the other point is more
difficult) but perhaps a good analogue will occur to you.

If only we weren't so ethical!--the story is short enough
to e-mail without much trouble.  Would anyone be inter-
ested in helping to organize a lending-library system for
the more obscure stuff?  I'll volunteer the texts and the
postage.

Nacre

On Thu, 18 Jul 2002, Michael Andre-Driussi wrote:

> [snip]
>
> A few weeks ago I located and read "Thou Spark
> of Blood," and I thought of posting a message
> about that, but why?  Just to brag about read-
> ing it?  No (at least I like to think that
> wouldn't be the case) -- just to share notes
> about it.  But who cares?  It is hard to get,
> few are inclined to make an attempt, and it
> probably isn't worth the effort to get it and
> read it.  LS/SS is where the action is, and I
> count myself out of that material.
>
> =mantis=
>
>
> Sirius Fiction

--

---

From: Adam Stephanides <adamsteph at earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 14:50:19 +0000

As Nutria said, no need to apologize; it was an interesting discussion.  And
you're not the only one to hold the Silk-reboot model; in fact, it may be
the majority view among those who've posted on the topic.  And I haven't
reread LS/SS either.  (No need to apologize for not wanting to continue the
discussion, either.)

And thanks for posting on "Thou Spark of Blood."  Sounds like something
worth looking for after all, though not worth paying an exorbitant amount
for.

--Adam

--