Subject: (urth) Wolfe, Winchester Mystery House, Worldcon 2002

From: Michael Andre-Driussi <mantis at siriusfiction.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 17:26:33 +0000

a tour of the fabled Winchester Mystery House. I had not realized that
access was so restrictive, I thought people could just drop in any time,
pay the money, go inside, which shows how little planning I had done.

Anyway, I decided to let the cat out of the bag and ask Gene Wolfe if he'd
ever been, if he would like to go while at Worldcon, and if he would, would
he rather go on the organized tour or on a separate one.

He has been there before (D'oh!) and he recommends it.  He is interested in
going while at Worldcon, but as his wife would not likely be able to go
(wheelchair access issues), he would probably have to go without her and
cannot commit as yet.

So that's the latest.  I'm trying to sign up for the tour, myself.

=mantis=

--

---

From: Josh Geller <dclxvi at dclxvi.best.vwh.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 17:51:59 +0000

On Thu, 18 Jul 2002, Michael Andre-Driussi wrote:

> Update: I saw in the progress report for Con Jose that they are organizing
> pay the money, go inside,

This is, in fact, the case.

>                             which shows how little planning I had done.

On the other hand, if you have a very large group, it might be advisable
to make advance arrangements.

I'm taking (another) group there next week: there are only perhaps ten of
us, and we will just be showing up at the gate.

> he rather go on the organized tour or on a separate one.

Great news that Wolfe will be at Worldcon.

I've been to Winchester House perhaps a dozen times. I'd have to say that
it is one of my favorite places in the World.

Sarah Winchester was a very interesting, very learned woman.

> (wheelchair access issues), he would probably have to go without her and

The garden is completely accessible, and of major interest (also free). It
may surprise some people to learn (althoughthough it did not surprise me )
that Mrs. Winchester has several varieties of datura growing there, as
well as a number of other plants with interesting reputations.

> So that's the latest.  I'm trying to sign up for the tour, myself.

I say we make an Urth list tour, whether or not GW himself can
participate.

.

--