Subject: (urth) "Not again!" cried the flea

From: Michael Andre-Driussi <mantis at siriusfiction.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 22:24:22 +0000

Blattid wrote:
>Granted, I've only read about half a dozen of Dickens's novels ... but
>not a one of the ones I've read (OLIVER TWIST, GREAT EXPECTATIONS,
>DAVID COPPERFIELD, THE PICKWICK PAPERS -- okay, not really a novel --
>A CHRISTMAS CAROL, and I'm pretty sure something else I'm forgetting)
>was epistolary or even significantly driven by letters.

Oh dear, we're circumcising the flea again!  And here it is my fault, since
I do not have a Dickens work in mind that is significantly driven by
letters (then again the so-called "Pickwick Papers" comes rather close, in
its episodic nature, if not in the letter and spirit, or spirit of the
letter).  I didn't mean to imply that "epistolary" and "Dickens" are bound
together; I only meant that it was written as a letter and seemed to have
some tenuous connection to Dickens (if only in the dog boy's first name and
his references to the Victorian author).  So sloppy.

But enough about me!  Where is your Posthistorical Timeline?  This and all
sorts of other things Wolfean have been promised us, yet we have seen
nothing of them!

=mantis=

--