Subject: (urth) "sibyl" as in "multiple personalities"

From: Michael Andre-Driussi <mantis at siriusfiction.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 19:20:16 +0000

Now that we're plunging into the question of how many personalities are
in/make up Maytera Marble, I'm reminded of the 1970s book and tv movie
"Sibyl" that was all about the woman who had multiple personalities.
Interesting touchstone, and I wonder if influenced Gene Wolfe's notion of
Marble.

Leaving aside the complexities of Short Sun's multiple personalities, I
guess my first question would be:

Is Marble's scattered nature due to an inherent quality of her original
state, or is it due to a critical mass of recycled parts?

Because the swordmaster, for example, has a leg made from five others,
iirc, and he does not seem to show the weirdness.  Granted he is a bio, but
we are saying that Rose herself may have been influenced by her chem parts.

So is there a level of prosthetic inclusion where the items are purely
prosthetic (human level), and then a level beyond that where the
prosthetics begin to influence the individual (cyborg), up to a level where
the prosthetics either take over the individual or cause it to disintegrate
under the babble (robot)?  (This does have some bearing on the issue of
Horn as a software prosthetic for crippled Silk.)

=mantis=

Sirius Fiction
booklets on Gene Wolfe, John Crowley
29 copies of "Snake's-hands" until OP!
http://www.siriusfiction.com/

--

---

From: Matthew Weber <mweber at library.berkeley.edu>
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 19:25:26 +0000

>Interesting touchstone, and I wonder if influenced Gene Wolfe's notion of

Well, it was SYBIL, actually, but that's an interesting reference that 
hadn't occurred to me.

Matthew Weber
Curatorial Assistant
Music Library
University of California, Berkeley

And the barrel of meal wasted not, neither did the cruse of oil fail.
         The Holy Bible (The Old Testament):  _The First Book of the 
Kings_, chapter 17, verse 16

--

---

From: James Wynn <crushtv at hotpop.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 15:25:57 +0000

Mantis ponders:
under the babble (robot)?

Crush responds:
Well consider that Silk ponders whether there is anything left of the real
"Rose" amid all her prosthetics.
As one might expect, I wonder if the process goes the other way. Can chems
take on bio prosthetics and is there a point where the prosthetics supercede
the prevenient.

--

---

From: Matthew Weber <mweber at library.berkeley.edu>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 15:32:42 +0000

>take on bio prosthetics and is there a point where the prosthetics supercede

Wouldn't Jonas be a case of exactly that?

Matthew Weber
Curatorial Assistant
Music Library

How long halt ye between two opinions?
         The Holy Bible (The Old Testament):  _The First Book of the 
Kings_, chapter 18, verse 21

--

---

From: James Wynn <crushtv at hotpop.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 15:39:34 +0000

>take on bio prosthetics and is there a point where the prosthetics
supercede

Matthew Weber taunts:

Crush goes for the bait:
Yep. He would, among others.

--

---

From: Andy Robertson <andywrobertson at clara.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 18:23:24 +0000

Obviously Jonas did this

    hartshorn

----- Original Message -----
From: "James Wynn" <crushtv at HotPOP.com>

--