Subject: (urth) PEACE and salvation

From: James Jordan <jbjordan4 at cox.net>
Date: Sat, 05 Oct 2002 20:09:53 +0000

Just a note from a theologian:

At 01:41 PM 10/5/2002, Roy wrote:

>So, Herr Hitler and Mother Theresa were equal in God's eyes; what they
>did in their lives had no bearing on their eternal fate.

         "Equal in God's eyes" is tricky, but I know what you mean. No. 
They start out the same: conceived in iniquity and born dead in trespasses 
and sins, and thus with an inbuilt tendency to rebel more and more against 
God. But their condition inherited from Adam is (more than) matched by the 
grace offered by God to those who turn to Him. And that's where the whole 
course of one's life comes in. Hitler did not turn, and got worse and 
worse. Mother T. did turn, and became a saint.

>I don't want to get into another theological conflict; I cede you the
>high ground. But you can't tell me, so far as Wolfe's religious beliefs
>can be inferred from his work, that he believes the acts of an
>individual in life are not weighed in the final balance, regardless of
>technical conformity to Christian/Catholic dogma.

         To be sure. But Wolfe would also allow for deathbed conversions. 
Not that this is probably going on in PEACE.

Patera Nutria

--