Subject: (urth) Terry Scoggin, Texas deadbeat

From: Michael Andre-Driussi <mantis at siriusfiction.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2002 04:25:39 +0000

Ladies and Gentlemen,

We have a John Crowley fan, name of Terry D. Scroggin, who lives in Valley
View, Republic of Texas.  Email tjscoggin at ntin.net

He ordered a chapbook and I sent him one.  Then his check bounced.  I
contacted him by email two weeks ago and asked him to send a money order or
cash to cover the amount plus the bank charge, a total of $12.

He responded quickly:
>Well, I did in fact close that account, but only last week.  According to
>the bank (on this end), the check was paid, but then they screwed me out of
>over $250, and that after only a year of service.  I don't know where it
>went, and they say they don't either.  Do whatever you have to do.

It is that "Do whatever you have to do" part that continues to bug me.
Maybe it means something different in Texan, but it sure sounds to me like
"Hey, it isn't my problem (and you aren't likely to come all the way out to
Texas for $12, but if you do, you can try and squeeze blood from my
turnip)."

Well now we are up to $20.  I'd like to publically shame and humiliate Mr.
Scroggin into paying the $20 right now before it goes up again.

To this end I'd like people to tell him not to be a jerk and to send the
money order right away.

Any help in this would be greatly appreciated!

=mantis=

--

---

From: Josh Geller <dclxvi at dclxvi.best.vwh.net>
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2002 04:52:59 +0000

> He responded quickly:
>> Well, I did in fact close that account, but only last week.  According
>> to the bank (on this end), the check was paid, but then they screwed me
>> out of over $250, and that after only a year of service.  I don't know
>> where it went, and they say they don't either.  Do whatever you have to
>> do.

> Texas for $12, but if you do, you can try and squeeze blood from my

I think it means you're out $12.00

> Scroggin into paying the $20 right now before it goes up again.

Excuse me: it looks like you're out $20.

I'll be sure not to sell Scroggin anything.

> Any help in this would be greatly appreciated!

I'd say publicize the facts and write it off. I think that blackening Mr.
Scroggin's reputation is probably a fine and a worthwhile thing to do.

But I feel you have small chance of seeing any money.

Good luck!

J.

PS I've Cc:'ed Mr. Scoggin. It's way to late in my life to start talking
   about people behind their backs.

--

---

From: Jeff Wilson <jwilson at io.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2002 17:09:16 +0000

>Texas for $12, but if you do, you can try and squeeze blood from my

That's an accurate translation. Our glorious republic was settled and 
founded by people who owed money to numerous other people in distant 
parts, after all.

-- 
Jeff Wilson
How Am I Posting? 1-800-555-6789
"If your SecOp can see you, so can the enemy." -Cpt Law

--