Subject: (urth) PEACE: Weer's Room

From: StoneOx17 <stoneox17 at aol.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 15:00:42 +0000

When the falling of the elm awakens Weer, he finds himself 
in a room with a fieldstone fireplace.  He seems to have 
been intermittently awake between his death and the fall 
of the tree, but to have lived mainly in this room.  Where 
is this room?

Consider its shape.  It's described as a long walled-in 
porch, and it has a stone (fireplace) at one end.  It's 
Weer's coffin.

-- Stone Ox

Safe in their Alabaster Chambers,
Untouched by Morning and Untouched by Noon,
Sleep the meek members of the Resurrection,
Rafter of Satin and Roof of stone.

                                  Emily Dickinson

--

---

From: Michael Andre-Driussi <mantis at siriusfiction.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 18:46:33 +0000

>porch, and it has a stone (fireplace) at one end.  It's

Very nice!  Have we ever seen that before?  I don't think so.  Gotten
close, with "the memory mansion is all inside the hollow skull" stuff, via
the Necronomicon passage.

It leads to another interesting possibility: what if the physically real
foundation of the memory mansion is, somehow, the other coffins at the
cemetary where Weer is presumably buried (if he is not buried on the
grounds of the physical memory mansion, ala Elvis at Graceland)?  Thus,
some (all?) of the rooms he visits are really just the coffins of others?
And it really is a confused tour of a necropolis.

(Because we have often wrestled with the interface between Weer's AD 2274
environment and the physical world, if such an interface actually exists.
If the mansion really exists, call it Weerland, then he is a ghost haunting
that place, thinking that he is somehow the last man on Earth; if the
mansion does not exist, then what is he conflating with the idea of the
mansion?)

About that first room: he seems to think it represents the real mansion
that he moved to from his tiny apartment, a place he lived in from around
age 50 to his death at 60-something.  This would be the place that had the
garbage disposal in the kitchen sink, for example.

=mantis=

--

---

From: James Wynn <crushtv at hotpop.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 19:08:38 +0000

I haven't read Peace but I'll offer that in alchemy, the "egg" is associated
with the coffin.

-- Tuppence tossing Crush
-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Andre-Driussi [mailto:mantis at siriusfiction.com]
Sent: Tuesday, October 22, 2002 1:47 PM
To: urth at urth.net
Subject: Re: (urth) PEACE: Weer's Room

=mantis=

--

--