Subject: (urth) TBotNS - Pinakotheken

From: Fr Kipling Cooper <kcooper at cuic.ca>
Date: Thu, 07 Nov 2002 05:36:32 +0000

Book I, chapter v "and the pinakotheken, with their great hallway topped
with a vaulted roof of window-pirced brick."

After much digging it would seem that pinakothek=picture gallery in
German, but wouldn't the suffix denote the plural?  or perhaps 'gallery'
as in chamber, and thus many chambers off a single great hallway?

-- 
Kipling+               

--

---

From: Michael Andre-Driussi <mantis at siriusfiction.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Nov 2002 14:39:58 +0000

>as in chamber, and thus many chambers off a single great hallway?

The OED has nothing; THE NEW YORK TIMES EVERYDAT DICTIONARY OF
MISUNDERSTOOD, MISUSED, AND MISPRONOUNCED WORDS has nothing; MRS. BYRNE'S
DICTIONARY has "pinacotheca" [note spelling] as "a picture gallery";
ROGET'S INTERNATIONAL THESAURUS lists pinakotheke and pinacotheca in group
"museum . . . picture gallery."

I was going to promote the article "Words Weird and Wonderful" in Wolfe's
CASTLE OF THE OTTER (collected in Wolfe's CASTLE OF DAYS), but it doesn't
have that word in it.  I promote it anyway!  (LEXICON URTHUS only says it
is a picture gallery, fwiw.)

There used to be an online wordlist of New Sun words, probably more than
one iirc.  Another resource.

=mantis=

Sirius Fiction
booklets on Gene Wolfe, John Crowley
hurt books eBay auction coming soon
http://www.siriusfiction.com/

--