Subject: (urth) interesting Green Man article

From: tom <tom at bitterman.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 16:28:19 +0000

The Green Man as pagan god.  The bit about Pope Julius II
is interesting:
http://www.thisishull.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeIda026&command=displayContent&sourceNodea025&contentPK015423

--

---

From: Andy Robertson <andywrobertson at clara.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 16:47:16 +0000

Interesting.   I had never made this connection, I confess.

The Green man (or Green Knight) is a god figure that later became an
elf/fay/sidhe in Northern legend.  I am not at all sure that I see any
linkage with the character in TBOTNS: for example, he is never spoken of as
chained or imprisoned.

    hartshorn

----- Original Message -----
From: "tom" <tom at bitterman.net>
To: <urth at urth.net>
Sent: Wednesday, November 13, 2002 4:28 PM
Subject: (urth) interesting Green Man article

> The Green Man as pagan god.  The bit about Pope Julius II
http://www.thisishull.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeIda026&command=displayCont
ent&sourceNodea025&contentPK015423

--

---

From: Josh Geller <dclxvi at dclxvi.best.vwh.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 17:13:28 +0000

> http://www.thisishull.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeIda026&command=displayContent&sourceNodea025&contentPK015423

There's a green guy who is important in Islam also.

And there's the one that's associated with peyote.

Maybe they're not all the same green guy. It's interesting to contemplate
what the World would have to be like for them all to be the same one.

.

--

---

From: James Wynn <crushtv at hotpop.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 19:21:45 +0000

Josh Geller notes:
There's a green guy who is important in Islam also.
And there's the one that's associated with peyote.
Maybe they're not all the same green guy. It's interesting to contemplate
what the World would have to be like for them all to be the same one

Crush responds:
Actually the green fellow in Islam ("El Hidr" or "al-Khidr") is probably the
primary derivation of the NS's Green Man. Robert Graves in "The White
Goddess" identifies him as a "former Sun-hero". Apparently he drank from a
pool of youth in Hyperborea and gained immortality. He encounters wandering
holy men to impart divine knowledge. He is also a patron of sea travelers so
perhaps, like Apollo (another Sun divinity) and all the Moon divinities
(according to Graves), one his early aspects was a sea-god.

But alloying of conceptual cognates is very Wolfean.

-- Crush

--

---

From: Josh Geller <dclxvi at dclxvi.best.vwh.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 19:45:24 +0000

>> Maybe they're not all the same green guy. It's interesting to
>> contemplate what the World would have to be like for them all to be the
>> same one

> But alloying of conceptual cognates is very Wolfean.

It's interesting that he shows up sometimes when people eat
peyote.

.

--