Subject: Re: (urth) Blue as Ushas - long + More LONG!

From: Ryan Thistlethwaite <shintemaster at hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2002 11:04:33 +0000

Couple of points to comment on... Can't be bothered quoting each other ad
nauseum, the writers know who they are...+ this is long enough already...

First on the subject of the neighbours, I can't recall of the top of my head
any suggestion that they went to the stars. Just read Horn's meeting and
agreement with the neighbours recently and there's no mention of this. It
always struck me as an "other worldly" type of travel.
As an aside on the neighbours... I don't know if this has been discussed,
dismissed or other, but I have just recently had a sneaking suspicion about
the relation between the Neighbours and the Inhumi. I seem to recall Horn
being asked and giving his name to a Neighbour at the end to which the
Neighbour replies "My name is Horn also..." Our Horn seems to feel this is
an immense compliment. Seems to me that the relationship between the
Neighbours and the Vamps hasn't been looked into too deeply, considering
they were supposedly together in the same little chunk of the universe for a
while......
I would LOVE any thoughts you all might have on where you think my brain is
going (and if it's leaving me behind!)

Just another quick one this time... I've felt off and on that Severian
making a house call in the pit seemed plausible, the confusion and
hallucinations all fit as well as something else I've just noticed. Seawrack
seems quite positive that Horn was D.E.A.D in the pit... exact words...
'SW: "You were dead."
I shook my head.
SW: Yes you were, I saw you down there."'
It's possible she happened along before Sev pulled out the FirstAid Kit...

--

---

From: Jeff Veyera <teflon93 at cox.net>
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2002 17:38:20 +0000

To your point, Ryan, Silk lamented at one point that the inhumi were merely
a reflection of those on whom they feed, not evil in and of themselves, and
that were humans better people, the inhumi would be no threat.  The
Neighbors apparently were similarly fallen, in that the inhumi drove them to
near extinction; impossible if Silk's interpretation was correct and the
Neighbors were morally superior to humans.  The Neighbors get a very
positive treatment from Silk and Horn throughout the book---the truth likely
wasn't so wonderful.

This might also explain Silk's willingness to surround himself with
inhumi---might he not have been hoping to redeem them through his own
example?

-----Original Message-----
From: Ryan Thistlethwaite [mailto:shintemaster at hotmail.com]
Sent: Sunday, November 17, 2002 3:05 AM
To: Urrth Messages
Subject: Re: (urth) Blue as Ushas - long + More LONG!

--

--

---

From: Roy C. Lackey <rclackey at stic.net>
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2002 18:37:05 +0000

Ryan Thistlethwaite wrote:
>any suggestion that they went to the stars.

Silkhorn speaking:
"As for me, I have walked with them, and sat with them around their fire.
Thus I know that they exist. They have gone elsewhere--found a new home
circling another short sun. But they have our permission to revisit this one
whenever they choose." (IGJ, 72)

-Roy

--

---

From: Ryan Thistlethwaite <shintemaster at hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 01:16:35 +0000

> whenever they choose." (IGJ, 72)

Let me rephrase that, I never had any impression that they did it the old
fashioned way using ships. I don't know that that makes any difference, but
just something I felt...

--