Subject: (urth) claw blood

From: maa32 <maa32 at dana.ucc.nau.edu>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 15:57:35 +0000

Of course, in talking about perceptions of the Claw's mutability, I was 
talking about my perceptions as I read it. It has nothing to do with textual 
rightness or wrongness; you can't argue with someone's progression of ideas.  
It's impossible.  Those were simply the thoughts I remember having the first 
time I read the New Sun.  (Remember, too, that I was in the 5th grade or so) 
Of course there are other powers besides temporal powers - powers to alter and 
transmute at the cellular level, like the deformed hand in UotNS and the water 
to wine in CotC.
As far as Sev's DNA on the claw, I thought there was a scene in Urth of the 
New Sun where he bleeds on the claw from his forehead. (Trying to use it on 
himself?) That would have been the claw that becomes the claw of the 
conciliator; I could be mistaken; it might be later (or earlier) in the time 
stream in Citadel, in which case I would be wrong.  Just perceptions.  That's 
all.  My point was that simple mysteries have multiple interpretive 
possibilities that change over time, especially in Wolfe.
Marc Aramini

--