Subject: (urth) Herodotus

From: James Wynn <crushtv at hotpop.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 15:57:48 +0000

Chris said:
I'm getting a copy this weekend, in fact, and I
wondered if anyone here had a translation they would particularly recommend
above all others.

Crush responds:
This is clearly too late to help you but I'll post anyway.

The Modern Library uses a Rawlinson translation with the artificially
antiquated language modernized slightly. It also uses the numbering system
iirc he created. The numbering system is useful for referencing quotes since
this translation is the most widely available. The problem with Modern
Library (at least for my copy) is that there is no index. Whatever copy you
get, you will be more satisfied with one that has an index. (I wish Tor
would include indices in Wolfe's books).

This would suggest that a Penguin Classics copy would be your best bet.
Also, I'm informed that the Penguin version also includes a bibliography, a
glossary, and a chronology (I've decided to get this myself now). I should
have asked my source what numbering system it uses. The translator is Aubrey
de Selincourt. I haven't read this version but I can honestly say that I
usually prefer Penguin's translators to all others - but, alas, they have no
hardcover copies.

-- Crush

--