Subject: (urth) Venus of D'oh!

From: Michael Andre-Driussi <mantis at siriusfiction.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 22:15:54 +0000

I wrote:
>Back up again.  We have often wondered who Charlie's father is, and we have
>posited Julius Smart among others.  Yet these things go together: a man of
>a certain generation older than Weer (Smart) meets an armless woman (or
>creates her ala Pygmalion: don't forget, Pygmalion carved a statue of
>Aphrodite, and that goddess brought it to life; the resulting woman, some
>give her name as Galatea, bore him a son!) and finds her very attractive.
>
>Would he then poison his wife?  Or was she a victim of his attempts to
>remake her into something more like Venus?
>
>In any event, the possibility remains that Charlie could be Smart's son,
>and as such, the true heir to the Smart empire.
>
>But mainly: Janet is Venus, and Charlie is Cupid. In one common tradition,
>Cupid is the son of Aphrodite by Zeus or Ares or Hermes.  The best match
>for Smart would be Hermes, the god of the alchemists as well as liars,
>tricksters, and thieves.

No, no -- I meant "Charlie as son of Tilly."  Smart is more like a
Prometheus, a fellow who stole the fire; Smart is the usurper of the throne
for which any child of Tilly would be the rightful heir.

And the dog boy would make a hairy heir.

=mantis=

--